Thursday 21 March 2013

How could you not love him?

I looked after this little patient a couple of weeks ago after his meningocele was fixed. A meningocele is the protrusion of the meninges of the brain or spinal cord through a defect in the skull or spinal column. We see a few meningocele or encephalocele (where the brain also protrudes) cases in babies or children every outreach but our CMO Dr Gary has never seen an adult with an encephalocele because he thinks they are not able to live that long with the defect.
After a few very tricky cases in the hospital here, involving repairing defects near the brain involving possible cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) leaks, I'm always very hesitant to look forward to being involved, mostly because I lack the experience and knowledge and also because the meninges is very slow to heal and unlike a wound leaking blood, the meninges doesn't quickly stop leaking CSF. It takes time and is very risky, for infections like meningitis can be deadly.

I fell in love with this little guy pretty quickly and you'll see why!!! I would walk over to his mother, put my hands out to him and pick him up, no fuss from him. His little body was only about 5.6kg at 4 months old. I would lift him up and kiss his face and be rewarded by a great big smile. Sometimes I would just smile at him from across the room and call his name and see his whole face turn into one enormous smile. How could you not love him?
In the photos here, he is still very swollen, but in the days following the swelling went down so nicely he has now gone home!





I love that gummy grin!

I am so happy for this little friend of mine. His life has been changed and hopefully saved- we can only pray for the rest of the dangers of life!

"You turned my wailing into dancing,
you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy,
that my heart may sing to you and not be silent.
O Lord my God, I will give you thanks forever."
Psalm 30:11-12

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...